Greens & Farfalle Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 8 cups vegetable stock (they give you a recipe for this, but the short cut secret is to buy the vegetarian "Better than Bouillon"mix -- it comes in a glass jar)
- 1/4 lb dried farfalle pasta (or you can use penne, orzo, fusilli, etc.)
- 1/4 lb escarole, carefully washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 lb Swiss chard, stemmed, carefully washed, and cut into 1-inch pieces (I used Kale, it worked...you just have to cook it a bit longer)
- 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large soup pot over medium low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is soft but not golden, about 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is cooked, 12-15 minutes.
Add the escarole and Swiss chard, stir well and continue to simmer just until the greens wilt but are still bright green, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately. Pass the Parmesan cheese at the table.
I love this recipe!!!